Houseboats of Kerala are something unique to Kerala and not found anywhere in the world, truly authentic in style. The houseboats of Alleppey came up as a concept few decades back when a group of youngsters built a temporary house on top of a traditional rice barges (Olden days cargo boats) which eventually became a protDetype of what we see the modern day houseboat. In earlier days the houseboats were just basic accommodation facilities made on top of the rice barge and they were mostly rowed by men. As years passed by the Houseboats came up with modern additions and advancements. Today you can get to see the most modern houseboats cruising through the backwaters of Alleppey.
A Houseboat would typically have a public area which would include chairs and at time couches. Behind the living room would be a dining table where all the meals are served. A gangway would start from the dining area to the rear of the boat where the kitchen is located. Through this gangway we could have access to the rooms. A Modern day houseboat ranges from one bedroom to six bedroom boats. The larger the boats, it could accommodate more people, however due to its size, it will not be able to go through the narrow canals where the real backwater lifestyle exist.
The houseboat hull would be of wood and almost all materials used are local sourced, coir, weaved coconut leaves and other natural material were initially used. However today as part of modern advancements, you could spot many other materials used in these houseboat. The houseboat crew would be local men and they prepare local food of local cuisine on board the houseboat. The Check in time is at 1200 hours, the cruise will be there until 1700 hours. The boat will dock at the banks of the backwaters by evening 1700 hours (this is a Govt. Regulation) as fishermen will start to cast their nets. The cruise will resume by next day morning at 0700 hours until 0900 hours. Check out our blog post on how what all things to keep in mind while booking a Kerala houseboat.
- 1200 hours check in at the houseboat – Cruise starts
- 1300 hours lunch served on board the houseboat. After which the boat will cruise through the narrow canals and other backwater villages where you could witness the backwater lifestyle.
- 1400 house – Tea and coffee will be served on boat with evening snacks
- 1700 hours – Houseboat will dock at an are in the backwaters for overnight stay.
- 2000 hours – Dinner served on board. After the dinner, the rooms will be air conditioned for overnight stay.
- 0800 hours – The boat will restart cruising
- 0830 hours – The breakfast will be served on board.
- 0900 hours – check out from the houseboat.
|Destination||Accommodation||Room type||Meal Plan||No. of Night|
|Alleppey||One bedroom Houseboat||Deluxe||Full Board||01|
- One night accommodation in a bedroom on board a Kerala houseboat
- All meals, evening tea coffee and snacks would be served on board
- Air conditioning in the room from 2100 hours till 0600 hours
- Cruise for 6 – 7 hours depending on the backwater route.
- Transportation to the boarding point is not included.
- Any element not mentioned in the program is considered to be an exclusion.
- Minimum two adults is required for the above applicable cost or a minimum of 2 adults will be charged for single person.