The historic port of Muziris, was famous trading port of the first century, located about thirty kilometers North of Cochin – The present port. It was the hub of various cultures and religions and legend stats that India’s first church was established here (50 kilometers North of Muzirs) by St. Thomas the apostle of Christ. The port met with a catastrophe, probably by a huge tsunami or a flood in River Periyar that altered the geography of Muziris. People fled South to Cochin and found a new port there. It was believed that the port of Muziris gave way to Christianity, Judaism and Islam to the sub continent. Today there is nothing much to see as Muziris, most of the excavation sites are under the Archaeological Survey of India and requires prior permission.
The day tours to Muziris is about a visit to a region which is supposed to be part of Muzirs, where you will be visiting many places associated to Muziris. This program is conducted by Kudumbasree, a women’s self help group known for promoting gender equity and communal harmony.
Depart from Cochin and a 1 hr 15 min drive to the hand loom factory at Chendamangalam.
Arrive at the Chendamangalam hand loom weaving factory, run by a women’s society, the chief livelihood of local women working there. Hand woven clothes are exhibited in the showroom. (30 min) Closed on Sunday.
Drive 15 min to the Jewish synagogue at Chendamangalam. This is a protected monument, renovated by the Archaeology Department of Kerala. (30 min) Closed on Monday.
Drive 15mnts to the Paliam palace and visit the museum (1hr).(closed on Monday)
20 min drive to a Kerala Tharavadu, a traditional Kerala homestead.
Traditional welcome to a Tharavadu at Muziris , enjoy a traditional Kerala lunch, Sadya, on banana leaves. Interact with members of a Kudumbasree family, a self help group of unemployed women. These women are part of the responsible tourism initiatives by the government and play a major role in building communal harmony. Also enjoy a short walk in the spice and fruit garden courtyard. (1 hr 30 min)
A walk through the village spread along the banks of the Periyar River with interactions with local communities. (30 min)
Departure to the onward journey.,Back to cochin by 4.00pm.
No accommodation is available for this program
- Transportation with pick up from Cochin and Drop back at Cochin.
- Service of an English speaking local guide from pick up till drop.
- Sightseeing and Monument entrance tickets.
- Enjoy a traditional Kerala Lunch (the Sadhya) served on banana leaves.
- Spice and fruit farm visit.
- Local village walks and interaction with local communities.
- Packed drinking water through out the tour.
- Any element not mentioned in the program is considered to be an exclusion.
- Minimum two adults is required for the above applicable cost or a minimum of 2 adults will be charged for single person.