Classic South India tour is a very popular tour that many opt to travel. The Journey starts from Chennai, the South Indian metropolitan and travels through the coast to Mahabalipuram and Pondicherry – The French Quarter. Further you will be moving in to the main land to see the Ancient temples of the Chola Empire which are architectural and engineering marvels. See how bronze sculptures are made, experience an ancient bullock cart ride and reach the the temple town of Madurai. Witness an evening ceremony at the temple followed by the day visit to the temple next day morning. Head to the Palani hills where you stay at an Estate Bungalow, a traditional Kerala styled bungalow recreated in the hills. From here you drive to Thekkady – the spice county in Kerala. Enjoy a wonderful backwater cruise in a houseboat and be with the backwater people at Kumararkom. And finally you reach Cochin, the historical port town from where you will fly back home from Cochin International Airport
- A walking story trail in Chennai by a story teller.
- Temples visits in Mahablipuram and the prime ancient temples built by the Chola Kings.
- Walking tour of Pondicherry and visit Aurovillie.
- The Bronze factory visit.
- Athangudi hand made glass tile making unit at Chettinad.
- Cycling tour of Kanadkathan (Chettinad) and visit the old little railway station.
- Witness the night ceremony at the Madurai Meenakshi Temple.
- Trekking and dairy unit visit at Rajakkad Estate.
- Spice plantation tour and an Elephant ride at Thekkady.
- Houseboat day cruise in the backwaters of Alleppey.
- Backwater village tour of Kumararkom by the villagers.
Day 1 – Arrive at Chennai international Airport, Overnight in Chennai.
Arrival at Chennai International Airport (MAA), our representative will meet you a the hotel to brief you about you program for the coming days. You will be transferred to the hotel in Chennai City. Afternoon you will have a story trail program where you hear interesting stories about the city, this is in general a walking tour. Back to the hotel for overnight stay.
Day 2 – Visit Chennai and drive to the Ancient Temple town of Mahabalipuram.
After breakfast, check out from the hotel. You will proceed for a guided sightseeing tour of Chennai where you visit the Santhome Church at St. Thomas Mount. Before noon, transfer to Mahabalipuram (70 kilometers, 1.5 hours), the ancient temple town. Overnight stay at Mahabalipuram.
Day 3 – Sightseeing of Mahabalipuram and drive to The French quarter of Pondicherry.
Morning, sightseeing tour of Mahabalipuram where you visit the Ancient temples and world heritage site. Further proceed to Pondicherry (100 kilometers, 2 hours), the french quarter on the East coast. Pondicherry looks very similar to a small french town, you will be staying here for two nights. Overnight at Pondicherry.
Day 4 – At Pondicherry
After breakfast, explore the town of Pondicherry. Visit, Aurovillie, the french and the Tamil quarters. Rest of the day at leisure.
Day 5 – Drive to Kumbakonam visiting ancient Hindu temples
After breakfast, drive to kumbakonam (130 kilometers, 2.5 hours) en-route visit the ancient chola temples in Chidambaram, Gangaikonda Cholapuram and the temple at Darasuram. Overnight at Kumbakonam.
Day 6 – Visit to the land of Chettiars
Proceed to Chettinad via Tanjore (140 kilometers, 3 hours), one of the prime centers of art, architecture and culture. The thousand year old Brihadeeswarar Temple, built by the Raja Raja Chola is fine example of Dravidian architecture. By afternoon move to Chettinad, the rustic hamlet in Tamil Nadu. Check in at the hotel on arrival for overnight stay.
Day 7 – Enjoy your day at the Tamilan Village
You are at the Village of Chettinad. In the morning cycle to that old little railway Chettinad railway station. After breakfast, proceed for a sightseenig tour and a market visit, see the making of the Athangudi hand made tiles and the Karaikudi Bronze Museum. Overnight stay at Chettinad.
Day 8 – Visit the Ancient Meenakshi temple at Madurai
Drive to the temple town of Madurai (110 kilometers. 2 hours), home to Meenakshi Amman Temple. Check in at the hotel on arrival, proceed for a half day sightseeing tour of Madurai, visit the Naykar palace and Meenakshi temple followed by the night ceremony at the Temple, Overnight at the Madurai.
Day 9 – Time to relax – Move to the Palani Hills
After breakfast, drive to Rajakkad Estate (90 kilometers, 2 hours) tucked away in the Palani hills close to Dindigul. Rajakkad Estate is a farm stay, a traditional heritage bungalow. Overnight at Rajakkad Estate.
Day 10 – At the Estate Bungalow
Morning, proceed for a in house trek within the Estate, you will sight a lot of birds and interesting routes, visit the cattle shed and the milk units. Rest of the day at leisure. Overnight at Rajakkad Estate.
Day 11 – Visit the Spice County of Kerala – Thekkady
Drive to Thekkady (130 kilometers, 2.5 hours), on arrival check in at the resort. Afternoon proceed for a spice plantation tour and an elephant ride followed by that. Overnight at Thekkady.
Day 12 – It time to move to the Backwater town of Alleppey
Drive to the Alleppey (150 kilometers, 4 hours) and board a Kerala houseboat for a day cruise. Move along the remote backwater villages and witness the backwater lifestyle at one of the most fascinating water worlds on Earth. on check out, drive to the backwater hamlet of Kumararkom. Check in at the resort on arrival for overnight stay.
Day 13 – Explore the backwater village by foot
In the morning, you walk to a point from where you will be picked up in a country canoe, to the village of Kumararkom. Where you witness the life style of people, their occupation, the fascinating elements of the village life, and much more. Back to the resort by noon, after which you have the day at leisure. Overnight at Kumararkom.
Day 14 – Transfer to the Old Port Town of Cochin
After breakfast, check out and proceed to Cochin (60 kilometers, 1 hours). Cochin is an old port town on the Malabar coast, the port of spice trade since the era of King Solomon. On arrival Check in at the hotel, afternoon proceed for a guided sightseeing tour of Cochin. evening is on your own to relax and explore Cochin on your own. Overnight at Cochin.
Day 15 – Check out and proceed to Cochin International Airport (COK) to board flight to your onward destination.
As far as we are considered, the hotels that you stay have to be something more than just accommodation. The below would be a bunch of boutique hotels, handpicked, specially to make the tour a memorable one. On the other side, if you have a constrain for a budget definitely we have other options as well to suite your requirement.
|Destination||Hotel||Room Category||Meal Plan||No. of Nights|
|Mahabalipuram||Chariot Beach Resort||Standard||Breakfast||1|
|Pondicherry||Palai De Mahe||Standard||Breakfast||2|
|Kumbakonam||Mantra Veppathur||Mantra Cottage||Breakfast||1|
|Madurai||Heitage Madurai||Deluxe Club||Breakfast||1|
|Dindigul||Rajakkad Estate||Deluxe||Full board||2|
|Kumararkom||Coconut lagoon||Heritage Bungalow||Breakfast||2|
- Accommodation in the above mention properties with the respective meal plan.
- Complete internal transfers and sightseeing in air conditioned large car as per program.
- All monument and sightseeing entrances as per the program.
- Story trail walking tour of chennai with a story teller.
- Service of an English speaking local guide at Chennai, Mahabalipuram, Pondicherry, Chidambaram, Gangaikonda Cholapuram, Darasuram, Tanjore, Chettinad, Madurai and Cochin.
- Bronze idol making unit visit at Kumbakonam and Athangudi tile factory visit at Chettinad.
- Trekking at Rajakkad estate in the Pallani hills.
- Elephant ride and Spice plantation tour in Thekkady.
- Houseboat day cruise in Alleppey backwaters for four hours.
- Kumararkom village visit program conducted by the villagers.
- Any element not mentioned in the inclusion is considered to be an exclusion.
- International Airfare, Visa to India, and Travel Insurance.
- Meal elements not mentioned in the program or in the Hotel Details.
- Expense of personal nature like tips, laundry, table drinks, shopping etc.